Vancouver Critical Mass

Mostly event announcements, news, and bicycle related activist opinions...
Download Critical Mass flyers and posters, or upload your own
Email vancouvercm~AT~gmail~DOT~com for a posting password
Yes, we ride the last Friday of every month!

26.6.06

An Inconvenient Truth Bittorrent Frustration

Since Yesterday, even better: a small, watchable version of this movie!
Thanks to "eee" in Slovenia [.si] who re-encoded and compressed the movie, you rock! From 2.4G down to 537mb. A quick download! This is the same thing as the previous torrent but much smaller. It is put into a .rar but thankfully this has no password and IS legit. The txtfile of eee even gives me props! And since then, [16 hours] someone has repackaged it without the .rar and put it out through demonoid.
Which is nice because it doesn't require you to unrar it to watch it, which is just another step and seriously the rar compression only saves like 30mb which is nothing. And also when I am browsing for torrents I always try and avoid the rar versions just because half the time it does require a password and you have to go through all the shit you see written about at the bottom of this post.

It loses some quality, but it doesn't need much quality because the movie is essentially a slideshow with sound. [There is this video of the al gore slideshow only - avaliable on a website] If you have unlimited bandwidth the global_warming torrent is a sharper picture, but still with the annoying CAM flicker.

The only thing the new torrents lack is the files bundled and the text file from the rar. I don't normally like bundled files but these ones are quite interesting I think. I've taken the liberty of hosting those files here so you don't need to BT them since they are tiny anyways. One of them is this great vitaminbike video that you can download straight from their website [so why was it bundled anyway ghsodt? just gi
ve people the URL and don't waste more space for us]. Also the pedaling pub is hilarious. It has to be Amsterdam.

First Good Torrent Link: inconvenient_truth-global_warming.torrent---2.4G
This one is Good! Finally! It is on piratebay. I don't think it is by my contact on IRC though, it is on piratebay not isohunt.

It is a slow torrent still so you should seed it. It does work! It flickers a lot for some reason and it is huge!!??? 2.6G and the quality is terrible. What is wrong with people? but it does work. No rar or zip or anything BS like that. I knew I would get to see it free eventually, the net will provide. Hopefully a smaller more manageable version will come out eventually too. Can't people hear of transcoding?

PS to anyone just new to this thread. Only link to the Torrents mentioned above! The other ones are ALL bullshit, don't bother with them. Hopefully they will die soon because they are scams. This is a history of a bunch of fake torrents below, the ones above are the only real ones [as of July 29th]

---ancient history of all the bad torrents :

july12
I heard on IRC from a reliable source. There will be a non-rar, non-zip torrent link that is cam capture in a few days. No BS. It will probably be put up on isohunt. I will link to it right here on this blog!

In the meantime, you do know about this videos of the al gore slideshow, the slideshow the movie is based on. That video has the same or more facts about this topic.



---July 8
Didn't even get a response to my throwaway email account for the poem I sent for the zip. Still nothing! So far: 0 [zero] good torrents. Somebody needs to get a camera, computer, $10 and do it!!!
My confusion, is why is the An.Inconvenient
.Truth.DVDRip.XviD-DiAMOND[www.videocodecspot.com].rar on isohunt says it has 153 seeds? I think seeds can be spoofed. I was never able to open it and noone else seems to have. Some people say uharc x -pw_toexoezl mydata.uha but when I tried that before it didn't work and I've since deleted the data.

It looks like isohunt cleaned up and there are only 3 listed torrents. None good still. The first multirar with uha in it. The 2nd rar that is so popular. And the stupid zip.

I've heard of somebody who says they will try to do a cam capture. One day. If they do I will post the link here and try my best to help seed [though my computer is slow and tends to crash even with µtorrent]. I hope they do it soon. They said they were having trouble finding 80 min DV tape. I don't know much about that. Apparently it is easy to find on the net but where is a retailer? In Vancouver? I wish I had a nice camera, I'd totally do it myself. But I don't really know how, I've just seen CAM rips I've downloaded and guessed how it was done. Anybody done it or have tips?

---Tues June 27 new version out! Will it be watchable? It is a ZIP file [why oh why!?] bundled with a text file called info.re.password.etc..txt which is NOT promising. Also it says it is a DVDrip which to me, I don't know about DVD releases, but to me that sounds fishy because the movie is still in the theatre, don't the DVDs normally take a while to get released? The info file tells you to send a poem to a certain email address, that this is just a lonely guy in a hotel looking for attention, thus the password email requirement. It was cute really, like those Nigerian money transfer spams.
--This is the original post info from June 14:
I've been really wanting to get ahold of the new Al Gore movie about Global Climate Change called An Inconvenient Truth. I'm not much of a fan of Republicrats or Tipper Gore's husband, but I've heard it's a persuasive film. I'm not sure I'd have my own mind changed, I'm probably going to be very cynical about the prescription of green cars greenwashing technofix. But if others who are not so into this stuff it may be a good tool of emotional argument [feeling the image to appreciate it, as with The Revolution Will Not be Televised which moved me even though I already knew the facts] Many have seen it, I'd like to promote anything that might get people out of their cars and thinking a little.


So, I tried to find it on BT a week ago. Suspiciously it wasn't out there! I got a bit paranoid as that was the same time as Piratebay was taken down. It got put back up and still no inconvenient truth! Well, I learned how to spell "inconvenient" [not inconveniant or inconveinient] finally from querying it so often. So yesterday or the day before I finally find a torrent on isohunt! And I jump on it and it finished downloading last night. So I try it out today and it turns out it is one of those **** compressed with password, send us money to decrypt deals. I should've known. Usually I never bother downloading .rar files cause its not much smaller and half the time it is BS like this. But of course this is an important movie that I think should be shared P2P as far and wide as possible [I sure hope my friends who have seen it are right that it is that good]

The torrents are
[isoHunt] An Inconvenient Truth.torrent
which is the damn .rar and another interesting one .avi I found that I haven't got yet is
[isoHunt] An Inconvenient Truth - Fox News Bullshit Response.torrent
[If you don't know about BT P2P read my instructions I did for art school]

So, I was wondering about cracking the password. And I don't really have those kind of skills. But I happened upon this wonderful tutorial about doing almost the exact same thing! How to hack! So I got all excited and downloaded the Uharc, Upx and Ollydbg free programs needed. I already had a hex editor [Hackman]. So I unrared the thing, Confirmed it was compressed with UPX, decompressed that, and found what I thought were the parts of the password with Ollydbg. Feeling very impressed with myself, I attempted to enter in the password to WinUha and bingo: Doesn't work. Keep getting
ERROR: Can't read from archive file / Unexpected end of file (maybe corrupt)
...which I also get if its not the right password. I'm new to Uha so I'm not sure if this means the data is bunk? Or the password is wrong? Or... apparently Uha isn't reverse compatible so maybe I've got the wrong version [0.6a not 0.6b] I tried everything I could, various combinations of the 4 parts of the suspected password [not every combination, if you get it PLEASE tell me]

The parts are
c6b09 wer32 toexoezl alkj984
from



If anyone knows how do this please share!

So, I'm giving up on that for now. Hopefully a better torrent will be released soon. I'll post it here if I see it. The rar file is supposed to be a screener anyway so it might not be that good in the first place. But still, people who seed scam torrents like this should be... shouldn't do that.

Right now it seems the best bet to see it is in a theatre. I think it's playing at 5th Ave and Tinseltown.

Share and Share alike! Knowledge is power.
---
old updates:

2nd torrent from isohunt. It's a rar and when you download it asks for a password. Straight rar passwords are not easy to crack. If anybody knows the password? Some comments suggest _toexoezl However, the rar contains a 200MB txt file so it is 99% sure to be a bunk file. Inconvenient.Truth.DVDRip.XviD-DiAMOND

my question is, why are there 113 seeders for it? I've heard of the RIAA tricking the system into displaying more seeds than is real, or paying people to seed crap. 113 seeds is pretty low for a hot movie like this actually. It would be 1000s if it was finally the legit torrent.

There is another link on isohunt to a 273MB version of the title which is a straight .mpg file but when you download it the file actually contains the movie Gayniggers from Outer Space, not Inconvenient Truth!
---
Thanks everybody for the comments. Here are two links someone posted in my comments of discussion of this on mininova.

41 Comments:

  • At 3:11 pm, June 15, 2006, Blogger VanCM Blogger said…

    Well I was out of disc space for a while and couldn't actually download this thing until today. But it's coming fast and since it began this torrent is way more healthy than the other rar [which someone even posted a warning about]. So, I'm hoping this torrent is OK, that the rar part is not a scam. But I'm only at 2%...4% actually now. It's fast! On the other hand, downloaded the movie Kingdom of Heaven accidentally because it was labelled StarWars3.screener a day before the movie was officially released. That torrent had thousands of seeds! [Or maybe the RIAA spoofed them, actually I doubt it since it was a movie anybody]. That was more of a joke then a scam since you did get a movie, hoping for it before the release was a bit greedy, and it didn't try and steal your credit card number!
    .

    .
    I have this weird theory but maybe the reason this movie took so long to be released on BT is because it is so American. I mean, Al Gore... Most people around the world are far more informed about global warming rather than denial USA. In µtorrent it shows a flag of the country the IP is located in and this torrent is WAY more Red White and Blue than any other I've downloaded. And the US, we all know, is falling behind in the high tech P2P sector because the push to fence off idea sharing emanates from there outwards. When Sweden decided to shut down the pirate bay it was after years of influence from the USA/based corporate entities to comply with the New World Order of US copyright law.

     
  • At 9:15 am, June 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Read on TorrentSpy that the torrent you are trying to download/crack the password for is an IP Miner. They also mentioned a trojan may be present. I downloaded and was unable to open either. The guys on TorrentSpy sounded like they knew what they were talking about and said to delete it. Just a heads up, I've been frustrated trying to find a copy also, good luck!

     
  • At 10:16 pm, June 16, 2006, Blogger VanCM Blogger said…

    Ok, I tried the Daimond file and that also has a password I can't find. Also there is a 200MB txt file in there which is suspicious. If anybody knows the password then post it but I'm not sure if its even a real torrent. I'd like to take a cam in and release this movie myself almost, but My computer would be too slow to do the legwork of encoding.

     
  • At 4:33 pm, June 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    from what i recall, the pwd is the "toexoezl" string you mentioned. the file contents r bogus tho. same goes for the 253mb inconvenient truth torrent.

     
  • At 8:23 pm, June 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If you got the password, please sharee ..
    I'm also desperate, after downloading the rar file T-T

     
  • At 8:27 pm, June 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    http://forum.mininova.org/lofiversion/index.php?t234976198.html
    http://forum.mininova.org/lofiversion/index.php?t234976491.html

    I'm beginning to think that the torrents we downloaded are fakes !
    I dont have the chance to try the password now, maybe later tonite. Hope you post your experiment soon ^_^

     
  • At 8:59 am, June 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The password is _toexoezl

     
  • At 9:02 am, June 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    And by the way, it isn't the actual movie

     
  • At 12:56 am, June 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    its one of those moveis I wanna see so bad I would pay for the torrent, but we dont have that option either.

     
  • At 2:09 am, June 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ARGH!!! I just downloaded this and it's bogus!!! FAWK!

     
  • At 3:29 pm, June 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yeah im having the same problem looking for this... weird how its been out a few weeks and hasnt leaked... EVERYTHING leaks...

    ill give it a few more mins looking for it & if nothing i guess ill find somewhere its playing & go see it. thanks for the heads up on all the fakes.

     
  • At 3:43 am, June 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    http://www.isohunt.com/torrents.php?ihq=inconvenient+&ext=&op=and

    new versions out

     
  • At 12:32 pm, June 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, Ive been looking for the password for this film as well.

     
  • At 11:49 pm, June 28, 2006, Blogger VanCM Blogger said…

    so I started downloading this new zip version. it comes with a text file info on the passwords [I wrote that in the main entry] and it says to send in a poem to this address. I never got no reply. I guess I'll still download it and double check but gawdamn! why so much BS? Usually there is like 1 or 2 bad seeds to half a dozen good, not vice versa. and the good is still not there yet

     
  • At 1:15 pm, June 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If you do manage to find a video copy of "An Inconvenient Truth", then for christ sake before making the torrent available, rename it something else like "Rosemary's Baby" (make sure the name has been well used for a long time). Then let people know its psuedonym by word of mouth, chat and discussion list. Get them to seed it with that name but ask futher leeches people to change it back to "An Inconvenient Truth". That way there is a half chance it will develop a critical distribution mass before the offended corporados shut it down.

     
  • At 9:27 am, July 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I tried searchs for Al Gore and Global Warming as well but nothing comes up that looks real.

     
  • At 7:23 pm, July 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    para desbloquear inconvenient truth con uhar:
    uharc x -pw_toexoezl mydata.uha

     
  • At 4:49 am, July 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Someone please share the correct password. None of the above work.

     
  • At 6:48 am, July 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ask yourself this. If this movie was really an attempt to save the world from destruction, and Gore really believed it, then why are they charging people to see it? If I were truely trying to help save the Earth I would release the movie myself on every bit torrent site and every other outlet I could find. I am afraid that Gore like so many other politicians are only interested in themselves and how much money thay can raise. For me this destroys the credibility of the movie completely.

     
  • At 2:15 pm, July 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If you are trying to reach a large number of people, the best way to go is to release it in theaters. It would not have garnered as much attention if it was simply released on the internet.

    He is trying to reach the less ... informed ... who not only don't download movies but also do not have large interent connections.

    Now, also, making movies costs money. You have pay all the people that record the film, that cut the film, that do the research, for the video clips, cutting and editing the film, shipping it out to the theaters, commericials, etc.

    All in all, if you want to reach a large number of people, you release it into mainstream.

     
  • At 5:30 pm, July 09, 2006, Blogger VanCM Blogger said…

    Well, as I said, this is NOT a messianic movie.

    But it is important. I'm not a big fan of Gore because of what he did when he was in government... Which is I guess a whole lot of things. If he had been smarter he could have easily done better for the
    environment, not starting more wars [as clinton also did] etc.

    I still haven't seen the movie so it is funny that I'm so obcessed with it. But I've heard it made "activists" feel like re-committing so it is powerful. I've heard it doesn't say much about solutions. But that is hard to do, TV and film are dumb mediums, especially in the mainstream conventions.

    Anyway, I'm not going to bother defending it more, I'll just say it's one of the best we got and populism does count.

    I want it to be used as a vehicle to going deeper, to questioning cars in general and actually look at social AND environmental impacts honestly.

    I think people who can afford it should pay for the movie and support the creators. I think others should share it free. Those groups overlap.

    The 3 best things you can do for global warming is stop driving cars [as much as reasonable, purity is stupid, public transit and bicycle infrastructure takes time to evolve]
    buy local organic food, and don't support war.

     
  • At 9:31 am, July 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    For those out the who downloaded the tor "An.Inconvenient.Truth.with.Al.
    Gore.dvdrip.divx.avi.(2006).zip", Good news, the password is "_toexoezl" enter it twice when prompted, dont forget the underscore. I used uharc. "uharc -e -pw mydata.uha". Now the bad news, this aint the movie. It's two avi's the first being the fox news crap, 350 megs and the second is a BBC movie about global warming and the connections between the current cabinet and big oil, energy, and car companys. It's ok bnut not the movie I wanted.

    Cheers,

    Brotha blogga

     
  • At 7:10 pm, July 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i've been downloading a version that's apparently 698.70MB but it's been stuck on 59% for about 3 days. when i previewed the file i found that it's a rarred-passworded-rar. I'm hoping when it's finished there will be something worth the time, but it seems all the seeds have disappeared and all that's left is a bajillion peers all with the same 59%. I've already downloaded the one that turned out to be Gayniggers from Outer Space and the one that's a fox special or something. this one seems halfway legitimate, but i'd like to see more seeds or something. WTF

     
  • At 8:17 am, July 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So if you have finally managed to download a genuine version from Piratebay, why aren't you seeding it for the rest of us? There are currently no seeds. Availability only 0.066.

     
  • At 3:08 pm, July 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Some of your directory names have a | (pipe) symbol in them. This is a character that won't work as a Windows directory name. This means that your html, and even the torrent file won't work for most users.

    The torrent failsw with an error message on Azureus:

    Error: Data Missing The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect, initialisation failed (filesExist:more_information_deeper_than_al_gore\Critical Mass Bicycle Rides Directory | Bike on!)

     
  • At 3:55 pm, July 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The torrent seems to work on the utorrent client in Windows, when you remove everything but the .mpg and the .txt file.

    Sorry if I assumed you packaged the torrent at first - saw all the bike-related material and made a false mental connection.

     
  • At 8:18 pm, July 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I tried the torrent fom this link http://www.mybittorrent.com/movies/bittorrent_288453.html as well. I downloaded about 5% of the movie,s topped the downloading, opened the file in VLC media player (which will play the file no matter how short) It turned out to be a dud also. Dang!

     
  • At 10:05 pm, July 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    2.3gb!! My god we need some competent rippers. There has to be someone out there who knows what they're doing.

     
  • At 1:57 am, July 27, 2006, Blogger VanCM Blogger said…

    ya, sorry I was trying to seed it but I had to do some things on my computer that required me to be offline. Where are the other seeds!? Anyways, I'll keep my copy alive as much as i can.

    Hmm, ya I'm running ubuntu now and it worked for me. Glad I don't have to worry about M$ issues. [actually i just switched and am still figuring it out]

    No i didn't make the file but who ever did sure was messy. At least it was watchable. i tried it in VLC and that worked. but then everything works in VLC if it works anywhere. I burned it to a DVD and it played in my cheap DVD player which was nice. i was surprised it worked actually. It seems to play some files and not others. The other short videos only worked on my computer.

    Maybe someone will come up with a better file. Or maybe someone could fix this torrent and reseed it. Can you just remake it with a videocodec or something? It won't require a password or rar crack at least!

    I've never actually made a torrent file though. Does somebody have a good method? What about the directory thing? I like it when I get torrents in their own directory to help organise things. Could someone running linux make one that runs in windoze?

     
  • At 8:13 am, July 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am reecoding it now. Will have the 700MB version online in about 4 hours depending on the speed of my CPU.

    Will post the torrent on piratebay or isohunt and report back here.

    p.s. Thanks to the dude that cam recorded it! Finally its on the net!

     
  • At 4:36 pm, July 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Here it is: Inconvenient.Truth.2006.CAM.DivX @ http://www.torrentbox.com/torrents-details.php?id=56712

    Re-encoded the 2.37GB MPEG CAM from ghsodt, so it is now at 527MB

    Greetings from Slovenia!
    eee @ www.eee.si

     
  • At 4:59 pm, July 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    http://torrentspy.com/torrent/814515/Inconvenient_Truth_2006_CAM_DivX_www_eee_si

     
  • At 7:49 pm, July 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    MTF Hit&Runers!
    plz help seed this!

     
  • At 9:18 pm, July 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cool - great, great movie, marred overwhelmingly by the packaging. The flicker of the video IS annoying (if haunting at times), so I'd wait for a future version before showing others, preferably buying the DVD when it's available.

    The really annoying thing about this version of the movie though, is the f*&king text that IDIOT placed over the ending text of the movie. The last, highly important points being made by the movie were written over by this f*#ker's text promoting his web site. I won't post the site - because it's also not unlikely that the jerk just wanted the site to get abuse. Regardless, it really trashes the ending of the movie, a movie that is supposed to be about a genuine message all the way through.

    I think we should all be on the lookout for another release of this movie - one that can be used to popularize the movie until the official DVD is released. Because of one a$$hole trying to add his petty message onto the movie though, I really don't think this would do justice at all to popularizing the movie in places where it isn't playing or accessible to people who wouldn't see it on their own.

    A damn shame.

     
  • At 2:11 am, July 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Anonymous man you are an idiot, get educated!

    I agree with you about the flicker and accept responsibility, it sucks. I'm not food at it.

    But the carbusters.org I dropped tastefully next to the climatecrisis.net movie website... that is a shame is it?

    This movie is mainstream hollywood fare. Pretty decent for what it is, but seriously, Hollywood is not there to educate people to be empowered and in case you hadn't noticed from the movie, that really needs to happen. This movie is really good on emotion and getting people to notice, not so great on real details and action. I mean c'mon, it's AL GORE. We all feel he is more human after watching this but the guy was VP of the Evil Empire and sat and watched and got the situation as drastic as it is today. Some say this guy is down with nuclear power and he is really corporate. duh.

    Carbusters.org is not my website and it isn't even such an excellent URL but it is awesome and important infor people need to actually make the serious changes our survival DEPENDS on. Fact #1 Cars are the biggest personal choice you have to contribute to global warming, and they are completely unecessary. It is not high tech or anything to hope for alternatives. It's just the typical politics of power.

    I didn't cover anything up and I tried to match the font and colour so it was unobtrusive. It's not a personal message, it is universal. So don't lie about that. Because of the compression in the smaller version the text not CAM captured is more obvious because it didn't degrade so that is why it stands out more.

    Climatecrisis.net is a pretty lukewarm website. People know the baby step information if they watched the movie, what they need is something real, not the disney version. Seriously, climatecrisis suggests people buy 'carbon credits' to neutralise their emissions. Only problem is, that is BS and spin of the emissions industries trying to make more moeny from their sinking ship. Not only does this scam make people driving SUVs feel that it is all OK to continue, the projects these things fund are often shady, socially unjust, and CONTRIBUTE to climate change. It's like the sponosor a child scam of hunger eradication. The "developing" world is not the bad guys that we need to change, no it is the West that causes Global Warming and profits from the whole thing. There is a great article on this in the new newint.org magazine and I would have put that URL into the movie too but their website is really out of date and doesn't have articles from this year on it yet.

    Anyways, peace, get educated. I agree about the flicker. Do you know how to fix it? 24fps film and ~30fps video = flicker.

    But don't bad mouth the truth. Maybe you are a purist and want only the officially sanctioned Al Gore nuetered message of emotional sympathy and write a letter to ask a politician to do the job they should have done 30 years ago, but I don't buy into that and I don't beleive in letting passing on BS.

     
  • At 8:04 am, July 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wasn't complaining about the text at the start. Those weren't unobtrusive. I was complaining about you OVERWRITING THE ENDING MESSAGE OF THE MOVIE.

    It doesn't matter what you think about Al Gore - you shouldn't cover up the ending message of his movie to promote your pet cause. That makes you no better than Bush officials who write over scientific reports to change the science. The flicker is a very minor issue next to that.

    Oh, and by the way, I'm closer to Michael Moore's stances than Al Gore's myself, but I care about science more than I care about either. Cover up anyone's messages (literally in this case), and you diminish the truth you try to promote. If you want to promote a cause, write it NEXT to the text, not over it!

     
  • At 3:01 pm, July 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What are you talking about? You should really slow down and think about this.

    Science? No, movie: Emotional message.

    If you think Micheal Moore is science then you're really weakening the arguments the rest of us actually have. Movies are entertainment experiences. Science is reading and talking. Science takes indefinate time, not 2hrs you might get bored if it is slow. Science requires looking at the boring bits too. Movies are propaganda, when used politically. Thus you need to be politically careful about what they say.

    This is a list of political suggestions from the editors of the movie. To the audience, interspersed with the credits. Some of it is very good and some very sloppy. I modified them only very slightly to make them more useful. To make them better reflect the science at present.

    I only overwrote 2 things. These were:
    -help farmers to grow alcohol fuel
    -buy a hybrid car if you can

    I changed it to:
    -help farmers grow local organic food
    -get rid of your car if you can

    Because:
    Biofuels are BAD for the environment. We don't have enough farmland on the planet to supply the waste energy to fuel vanity cars for North Americans. And using that foodland for fuel to power the rich is tremendously evil. Not only that it requires monocultural production which necessitates heavy chemical and fossil fuel based imputs making the theoretical advantages of biofuel instead of fossil fuel be nil. Biofuels are only ecological if the use to which they are put is ecological: ie NOT with a private car.

    This is not just my opinion. It is the numbers. Carbusters writes about it in the issue I linked in the movie!

    Hybrid Cars are not helpful either. Sure they have better fuel economy. But at what cost? The actual energy used for a car in manufacture is greater on average than the fuel spent driving it. That=C02 output in case you can't count. So the manufacture of the vehicle must be cleaner too. Hybrid cars take a LOT more energy to produce because they are made of lightweight "efficient" plastics and aluminum. This stuff requires even more energy to make than steel, and steel is energy intensive [I know because I work with it].

    Finally, as addressed in carbusters, the question comes up: what happens when you make cars more efficient? What are you making sustainable? You are sustaining the act of car driving. Therefore: more cars. The system is saved. If in fact the problem is not fuel efficiency [Auto efficiency is factors higher than it once was decades ago] which has come a long long way. The problem is the energy required to move a 150lb load with a 3000lb vehicle, you just can't make it good for the environment.

    If everyone drove a hybrid efficient car now that would cut pollution 30%. But then it would take more energy than we currently have to use on the planet to make those cars. And pollution would go up a lot more than 30% as cars would be practical once again like they were in the 50s. [for a few more decades until the next stage of collapse]

    Have you read the Bush documents? The edits are made to a scientific report. not the same as a movie. they are made by the government responsible for accurately passing on what their scientists tell them. Not by an internet pirate [arrr] volunteering for no money to pass on a Hollywood edutainment film what has BS in it here and there, and cleverly strengthening the movie.

    If you don't like it, it's not like it is the official version I have modified. If you want to read about hybrid cars and biofuels you can look at the British Petroleum website [er, sorry, 'beyond petroleum'] and read it from the horses mouth. While you are at it, check out some Tobacco Apologist websites and see if you can find any parallels. If these things are science that will 'save the world' then why are they so profitable to companies that caused the problem in the first place. Could it be they are actually not ways to solve the problem but to prolong it so they can keep up the profits?

    Anyways, keep those censorship radars ready and point them at those with power. Skepticism is a wonderful skill, thanks for keeping it up. But remember the maxim: follow the money. Power is what needs checking. Fringe radicals such as myself are not the ones censoring your thoughts.

    peace
    GHSODT

     
  • At 3:06 pm, July 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    PS

    I also ADDED a bunch of things that I didn't overwrite:

    I added reduce and re-use to recycle
    I added some bits to the democracy part to make it more empowering. Congress is far away, city council is where change starts.
    I added some to the media: make your own media because writing letters will be ignored if it is not in the interests to publish of that perticular media company.
    I forget the edits, anyways, that is not overwriting.

    Being silly with the titler I will confess to. I never had one of those things to play with before.

    Go Home Silly Orange Dancing Tangerine

     
  • At 3:28 pm, July 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for this version - at last it works.

    Does nanyone know of a BT source that's devoted to alternative energy and climate change issues - like BBC, Discovery Channel or movies like 'Who Killed the Electric Car?', etc?

    There are some i'd like to share.

    Koala

     
  • At 7:13 pm, August 03, 2006, Blogger VanCM Blogger said…

    i don't know of any Koala but if you do find/make any torrents I can post links and the .torrent files here

     
  • At 11:42 am, August 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maybe chomskytorrents.org will be a good place?

     

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and constructive. If you want to vent or hate do it somewhere else. Violent, threatening and abusive comments will be removed. Please read other posts and discussion to avoid duplicate questions.

<< Home